Things have cer­tain­ly been crazy as of late. Being elect­ed onto the SLUG Com­mit­tee (at the March AGM) has giv­en me a greater appre­ci­a­tion of local com­mu­ni­ty issues and of what it takes to co-ordi­nate a group. At the same time, man­ag­ing the Lin­ux Aus­tralia stand at Open CeBIT has also been a tremen­dous learn­ing expe­ri­ence. My offi­cial report is here.

I’ve had a few requests to elab­o­rate upon the ‘brush with death’ men­tioned in that mes­sage. Dri­ving home after the sec­ond day of CeBIT, I expe­ri­enced a car acci­dent. While trav­el­ling at at least 60km/h, I some­how lost con­scious­ness, and woke up phoughed into the side of anoth­er car. For­tu­nate­ly, the car was parked and unoc­cu­pied. Nobody was involved aside from myself. The car was a write-off, but the pas­sen­ger cab­in was ful­ly intact and I expe­ri­enced no injuries. The oth­er car was part of a com­pa­ny fleet, and its cus­to­di­an was­n’t both­ered much at all. Insur­ance took care of the costs on both sides.

I was quite shak­en after the crash, and I very near­ly did­n’t go to CeBIT the next day. After being cleared by a para­medic and two doc­tors (one on the night of the crash and anoth­er the fol­low­ing morn­ing), I decid­ed that I was­n’t going to let this get in my way. It was prob­a­bly the best deci­sion that I made, since it forced me to get back on my feet doing some­thing that I love, rather than sit­ting at home in mis­ery. I was unable to mod­er­ate the Lin­ux Aus­tralia pan­el dis­cus­sion that I had helped to organ­ise, but I was there at the stand just like on the pre­vi­ous two days.

Oth­er­wise, CeBIT was a resound­ing suc­cess. It proved to be a fan­tas­tic spring­board for us to launch the inau­gur­al SLUG Boot­camp. More on this lat­er.

I can’t ful­ly explain why I blacked out in the first place. When I was younger, I would occa­sion­al­ly black out under cer­tain cir­cum­stances. Neu­rol­o­gists at the time could­n’t iden­ti­fy what it was, but told me not to wor­ry about it. I was prob­a­bly just exhaust­ed, from the exhibit­ing all day, the plan­ning in the lead-up to the event, my new job, TAFE, and var­i­ous oth­er things. The doc­tors that I spoke with agreed with me that it was prob­a­bly just a microsleep.

I’m still recov­er­ing from the after-effects of the acci­dent. I get stressed more eas­i­ly when dri­ving, but I can feel that slow­ly reced­ing with time. Most of all, I feel excep­tion­al­ly lucky that I did­n’t hurt myself or any­one else.


LotD:  IBM PC Real Time Clock should run in UT

%d bloggers like this: